It’s a well-known fact that most burglars are opportunists. Of course, there are some that are “professionals” at what they do. They’ll use a variety of tactics to find the right home to target, and the best time to do so. Although you can put off opportunists, it’s the seasoned burglars that will concern you! Here are six things the professional thieves don’t want you to know:
- Thieves take the time to find the right targets
Tell-tale signs that your home is their next target include:
- Overflowing mailboxes;
- Homes that appear hidden away from public view;
- No dogs.
- Burglars try to find out about you on social media
The sad truth is that many people don’t keep their social media profiles private. Thieves can quickly research your name online and search for it on social media. Putting up public posts that state you’re about to go away somewhere is a welcome boon to them.
- Professional thieves are masters at blending in with the area
Many pro burglars will disguise themselves as utility company employees to avoid raising suspicion.
- It’s in a burglar’s interests not to break into your home if you’re there
Despite what you may think, burglars prefer to operate when no-one is at home. They hate confrontation just as much as you do.
- They are criminals that are happy to enter and exit via your front door
No-one is going to be suspicious of people walking through your front door. Only stupid burglars will break in or leave via a broken window, for example!
- Alarm systems put off seasoned burglars
The last thing a burglar wants is to raise attention. For that reason, they’ll avoid homes with alarm systems.
Infographic By Home security system buyers guide