Cucumbers were always a vegetable I overlooked. I never saw them having much flavor and never knew how to "cook" them. Then I came across this recipe for sweet and sour cucumbers. I decided to try it out. I had most of the ingredients and loved how easy it looked.
Soon enough I had the cucumbers sliced, ingredients mixed and the salad chilling in the refrigerator until dinnertime. Once served, I was surprised how tasty and sweet this was. The salt and vinegar definitely give it a kick and is very refreshing.
This is a great and easy recipe to serve as a side and would be a hit at a cookout! I really enjoyed this dish and now buy cucumbers on the regular!
Ingredients: 2 cucumbers, sugar, salt, pepper, vinegar and fresh dill.
Finely slice the cucumbers and sprinkle salt on them in a strainer.
In a separate bowl, stir vinegar, dill, sugar, and pepper until sugar is dissolved.
Add cucumbers to dressing and stir to blend.
Refrigerate at least 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
- 2 cucumbers, unpeeled, very thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh dill
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place cucumber slices in a strainer.
- Sprinkle with salt; toss to coat.
- Let stand 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- For dressing, stir vinegar, dill, sugar, and pepper in large bowl until sugar is dissolved. (Add ingredients to taste. I found the vinegar was too much so reduced the amount)
- Drain cucumbers well; pat dry.
- Add cucumbers to dressing and stir to blend.
- Refrigerate at least 15 minutes and up to 2 hours; serve cold.
*Makes 6 to 8 servings*