It was time for a do it yourself dinner. My boyfriend wanted to experiment in the kitchen. He got the idea on Pinterest but wanted to make his own version. Yes my boyfriend goes on Pinterest...talk about a keeper! He decided on Chicken Tortilla Soup. The total time took an hour and a half. Within ten minutes of preparing, the kitchen smelled wonderful. After patiently waiting for the concoction to be done, we sat down to our mexican dinner. It was delicious. He added white rice into the soup which brought the flavors and texture together. This also made tons of leftovers, which is always a plus. I am looking forward until the next time we make this on a chilly fall night!
Some of the ingredients
The other half of the ingredients
And the secret ingredient, white instant rice
Sweet onion chopped, minced garlic with 2 tablespoons olive oil, sauted.
The bell peppers, corn, pepper, oregano, salt, creole seasoning, diced tomatoes, cream of chicken soup, salsa, verde salsa, cumin, cayenne, all mixed in
3 chicken breasts at 350 for 40minutes with chili powder, salt and pepper sprinkled on top
Served in bowls with the chicken and rice added
Topped with wonton strips, cheese and sour cream
What You Need:
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 cup whole corn kernels, cooked
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 1 cup (2 servings) instant white rice, prepared before adding to soup mixture
- 1 pinch cumin seasoning
- 1 pinch cayenne seasoning
- 1 pinch of creole seasoning
- 3 boneless chicken breast halves, cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 bag of wonton strips, to add on after the soup is prepared
- Shredded Monterrey Jack cheese, to add on after the soup is prepared
- Sour cream, to add on after soup is prepared
How To Make:
1. Bake 3 chicken breasts at 350 degrees for 40 minutes with chili powder, salt and pepper sprinkled on top. Once baked, cut up into bite sized pieces.
2. In a medium stock pot, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic in oil until soft. Stir in chili powder, oregano, tomatoes, cream of chicken soup and water. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
3. Stir in corn, peppers, cilantro, cayenne, creole, cumin, rice and cut up chicken. Simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Ladle soup into individual serving bowls, and top with wonton strips, cheese and sour cream.