All day today it has been raining. Overcast, cloudy and rainy. For once, I actually did not mind it at all. It is the stay at home in your pajamas and eat warm food kind of rainy day. Thinking of what to post, I decided upon something opposite of a rainy day. I made this sunflower cake using Peeps not to long ago and thought it would add some “sun” to the rain! My little sisters Birthday was coming up and I thought this would be the perfect cake to make her! It was very easy and tasted delicious!
The Peeps around the cake
Added a couple candles and ta da!
- 1 Package (18 1/4oz) yellow cake mix
- 2 cans (16oz. each) German Chocolate frosting (I used this because it is our favorite frosting. Original chocolate works just as well)
- 19 yellow Peeps candies
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Prepare cake mix and bake according to package directions, using 2 greased 9in. round baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes before removing layers from pans. Place on wire racks and cool completely.
- Level tops of cakes. Spread frosting between cake layers, over top and sides.
- Without separating Peeps and curving slightly to fit, arrange Peeps around edge of cake to form petals.
- For the sunflower seeds, arrange chocolate chips in center of cake
Easy and adorable! How cute would this be with flowers along the bottom or Easter eggs for Easter?!